Construction firms fined after worker suffers fatal fall

Oliver Connell and Son Ltd and Rydon Construction Ltd have been fined
after a worker fell to his death when a temporary platform collapsed.

Southwark Crown Court heard how Mr Vasile Nichitut was working on the fifth
floor of the construction site at the Green Man Lane Estate, when he walked
onto a temporary platform covering a vertical shaft, which collapsed beneath
him. He fell approximately 14 m and died as a result of his injuries.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Oliver
Connell and Son Ltd had failed to ensure that work at height was properly
planned, appropriately supervised and carried out in a safe and practicable
manner. Specifically, there was no temporary works design for the platform and
the company's system for installing and inspecting it was inadequate.
Rydon Construction Ltd failed to plan, manage and monitor the work involving
the temporary platform to ensure that, construction work is carried out without
risks to health or safety. They failed to identify the lack of design drawings
and carry out suitable checks on the platform.

Oliver Connell and Son Ltd, of Zanrose House, Horsenden Lane South, Greenford,
pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4(1) of the Work at Height Regulations
2005, and have been fined £ 360,000 and ordered to pay costs of £ 4834.08.
Rydon Construction Ltd, of Rydon House, Station Road, Forest Row, pleaded
guilty to breaching Regulation 13(1) of the Construction (Design and
Management) Regulations 2015, and have been fined £ 500,000 and ordered to pay
costs of £ 40,740.88.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Owen Rowley said: "The consequences of
temporary works failing can be dire. All contractors involved must ensure that
an effective system for managing the temporary works on site is established and
adhered to. Crucially, all temporary works require a design to ensure that they
are suitable for purpose.

"In this case the failure to manage the risks associated with temporary works
and work at height led to the entirely preventable death of Mr Nichitut.”

AplusA-online.de - Source: Health and Safety Executive - HSE