The German OSH institute BAuA has published a Website providing links to major
guidance documents on biological agents in English.
Documents available include the biological agents regulation and some Technical
Rules for Biological Agents (TRBA) established by the Committee for Biological
Agents (ABAS). TRBA 400, 100 and 450 relate to
The documents include advice for companies like basic rules of good
microbiological technological practice:
(1) Windows and doors of the working areas should be closed during the
(2) It is not permissibl
e to drink, eat or smoke in the working rooms. Food
must not be kept in the working area.
(3) Laboratory coats or other protective clothing must be worn in the working
(4) Oral pipetting is prohibited and pipetting aids must be used.
(5) Syringes and cannulas should only be used when absolutely necessary.
(6) During all activities care must be taken to ensure that the formation of
aerosols is avoided where at all possible.
(7) After the end of the activity and before leaving the working area, the
personnel must wash their hands carefully, if necessary disinfect them and refat them
(skin care plan).
(8) Working areas should be kept tidy and clean. Only the instruments and
materials actually needed should stand on the workbenches. Devices should only be
stored in the areas and cupboards provided for the purpose.
(9) The identity of the biological agents used must be checked regularly if
this is required to assess the risk potential. The intervals are geared to the risk
(10) In the case of activities involving biological agents the workers must be
given instruction before commencement of the activity and subsequently at least once
a year in verbal form and with relation to the specific workplace.
(11) Workers inexperienced in microbiology, virology, cytobiology or
parasitology must be given particularly comprehensive instruction, subjected to careful direction and supervised.
(12) Vermin must be controlled, if necessary regularly and by specialists.
AplusA-online.de - Source: BAuA